By studying a master in Mass Communication Management programme, you will gain an understanding of the principles of creative media industries and the major social and cultural forces that affect them in the contemporary world. This programme has a specifically international focus combining key aspects of marketing strategy and management approaches which would suit those interested in mass communication and the relationship it has to advertising and promotion, research methods, as well as contemporary mass communication industries.
Mass Communication Management offers you an exciting opportunity to study the issues and trends across mass communication platforms such as TV, radio, newspaper, movies, advertising and social media. You will learn to recognise how these modes of communication are connected and how they relate to ideas and problems in society at both the national and the global level. You will develop an awareness of the media, communication and cultural industries in the 21st century through research-informed and practical activities as you learn how communication strategies are produced, distributed and consumed. Applying academic theory to a range of real-world issues, this course also includes training in cultural management, enterprise and leadership, providing you with the skills and confidence to succeed in a range of media and communication industries.
The Master in Mass Communications provides a thorough grounding in the theories, approaches and research necessary for the study of media and communication processes in both the national and global contexts. The course combines an overview of the history and development of communication research with a critical analysis of current theories in the field. You will analyse key areas in mass communication including media production, organisation and control, news in the local, national and global context, media/new media roles and the political process, communication policy and regulation, and cross-national media and communication systems. You will investigate the quantitative and qualitative methods and approaches necessary for analysing all aspects of the communication process, from media organisations, media professionals and production to media content, audiences and cultural consumption.
Course Length: 1 years;
Start dates: January, May, September
- Research Methods
- Advertising and Promotional Cultures
- Cultural Management, Enterprise and Leadership
- Working in Mass Communication Industries
- Marketing Strategy
- Relationship Marketing in a Global Context
- Media Dissertation
* The units can vary, depending on the optional modules which your institution will choose for the course structure.
You’ll learn through a mix of theory and practice, including taught sessions, field trips, lectures, seminars and group assignments. You’ll discover the theories and issues informing real-work examples within a range of media and cultural industries and then put these to use in workshop activities which reinforce the links between theory and practice. You will be encouraged to develop your communication skills by taking an active part in seminars.
The dissertation module provides an opportunity for you to put learning into practice by designing, executing and writing up an original piece of research on a topic negotiated between you and your dissertation supervisor.
Popular sub-disciplines include journalism, public relations, writing, foreign languages, business, and marketing. You can follow diferent careers pathways in Writing And Editing, Internal Communications, Public Relations, Publicity, Market Research Analysis, News Casting, Media, Advertising,Marketing, Event Planning, Customer Service and Sales.
Example of job opportunities for graduate with a Master degree in Mass Communications Management:
- Community Relations Director
- Publications Editor
- Publicist/ Editor
- Script Writer/ Speechwriter
- Newspaper Publisher
- Radio News Director
- Radio Talk-Show Host
- Advertising Executive
- Sales Representative
- Special Events Coordinator
- Sports Announcer/Marketer/Publicist
- Public Affairs Director
- Travel/Conference Manager
- News Anchor
- Student Activities/Services Director
- College Admissions Counselor
- University Administrator
- Telemarketing Manager
- Television Producer/Reporter/Manager/Director
- Production Assistant
- Promotional Specialist
- Motivational Speaker
- Market Researcher
- Media Account Executive
- Communication Consultant/ Statistician
- Public Relations Coordinator
- Communication Researcher
- Instructional Development Consultant/Specialist
- Conference Leader
- Company Spokesperson
- Customer Service Representative
- Associate Producer
- Director of Corporate Communication
- Broadcasting Production Supervisor
- Events Planner/ Fundraiser
- Executive Administrative Assistant
- International Program Coordinator
- Marketing Communication Manager
- Marketing Product Manager
- Applicants are required to submit proof of Bachelor Degree Diploma;
- For candidates with over 5 years’ experience at a managerial level but without an undergraduate degree the programme leader will review applicants based upon their suitability for the course;
- Applicants who do not have English as their first language will be required to demonstrate an approved level of proficiency in the use of the English language;
- Applicants must bring their original certificates when coming for registration;
The Tuition Fee of the course will vary depending on the institution you wish to study in, as well as your status in the UK. The course is available for UK/EU and International Students as well. Please contact us to find out the tuition fee for a specific course you’d like to know about.
If you are an UK/EU citizen or living in the UK on Indefinite stay, who wants to apply for a postgraduate course you can receive support from the government via Student Loan Company. If you’re starting a master’s degree, you could get a Postgraduate Master’s Loan of up to £10,609 to help with course fees and living costs. You won’t have to pay back the loan until after your course, when you’re earning above a certain level.