The HND in Computer Game Animation allows students to enhance a range of practical skills for the development of computer games. This innovative course, derived from professional standards and principles, comprises modules on media and game design. This course will prepare you for a career in the Digital Animation and Games Design industries. You will develop a range of creative and technical skills including, 3D modelling, 2D/3D animation, Games Design and Concept Art.
The HND in Computer Game Animation is designed to provide specialist work-related qualifications in a range of sectors. This course will improve the knowledge, understanding and skills that is needed to prepare the learners for employment in the commercial fields of Computer Game Animation and will be suitable for thouse who have already decided that they wish to enter this area of work.
This course provides education and training in the theory and practice of Computer Game Animation as required for careers in computer games design, computer games development, 3D Design, and 2D & 3D Computer Animation. You will use industry standard software such as, Adobe Creative Suite (Master Collection), Maya 3D, Unity and Games Salad. You will develop the skills required to take your creative ideas from initial stages to the final product.
The emphasis of this programme is to develop work related skills alongside creative thinking within a games/coding context. You will have the opportunity to work on industry led assignments to develop a professional creative identity.
Some adult learners may wish to make the commitment required by this qualification in order to enter a specialist area of employment or progress into higher education. The programme will be mainly based around the artistic elements of games design, covering concept art, illustration, storyboarding, level design, digital sculpting, 3D computer modelling, texturing, light, rigging and animation. The course provides and insight into the professional practice of games design through practical demonstration, research and theory-based study. Students are encouraged to explore a variety of sources and subjects that influence their development as well as experiencing a range of teaching methods such as formal lectures, team teaching, practical demonstrations and tutorials that further enhance their learning experience.
Course Length: 2 years;
Start dates: February / July / October
- Computer Game Studies
- Research Techniques for Creative Media Production
- Practical Skills for Computer Game Design
- Drawing Techniques for Computer Game Concept Art
- 2D Digital Graphics for Computer Games
- 2D Digital Animation for Computer Games
- 3D Modelling for Computer Games
- Contextual Studies for Creative Media Production
- 3D Computer Game Engines
- Special Subject Investigation for Creative Media Production
- Career Development for the Computer Games Industry
- 3D Environments for Computer Games
- 3D Animation for Computer Games
- 3D Character Animation for Computer Games
- CGI Rendering and Lighting for Computer Games Animation
- Project Design, Implementation and Evaluation
* The units can vary, depending on the optional modules which your institution will choose for the course structure.
You are required to complete substantial amount of practical work which must be evidenced through, sketchbooks, annotation of work, and producing an end outcomes based on a theme/tasks. The work completed will form part of your course assessment. It is assessed and graded internally by a combination of: practical work with end outcomes, presentations, exhibitions and written work. The work produced will relate to specific unit assignments.
Learners who have complete this course should be able to progress to the final year of a degree programme BA/BSc Top Up in Creative Media Production or related field.
Careers in game design are stimulating and varied. Your course will provide you with the knowledge and practical skills required to excel professionally or progress onto further, specialised study. Roles you will be able to fill once you graduate include Animation Designer, Junior Games Developer, Project Designer and Games Researcher.
- Minimum Age: 18 years old;
- Applicants are required to submit proof of prior certificated learning (e.g. Secondary School Diploma/Baccalaureate/Level 3 qualification) or relevant work experience;
- Applicants who do not have English as their first language will be required to demonstrate an approved level of proficiency in the use of the English language;
- An interview with the college is compulsory prior student registration.
- Applicants must bring their original certificates when coming for registration;
The Tuition Fee of the course will vary depending on the institution you wish to study in, as well as your status in the UK. The course is available for UK/EU and International Students as well. Please contact us to find out the tuition fee for a specific course you’d like to know about.
If you are an UK/EU citizen or living in the UK on Indefinite stay, you can receive support from the government via Student Loan Company to cover tuition fees and some living costs while studying, depending on your circumstances. Tuition fee loans, to cover the full cost of your course, are paid directly to the course provider. Maintenance loans can be applied for at the same time, lending you money at the start of each term. You won’t have to pay back the loan until after your course, when you’re earning above a certain level. Students can still apply for grants if they’re eligible for certain benefits, disabled, or need help with childcare costs.