The HND in Media Production course is designed to give you a highly developed grasp of the process of moving image production by exploring the disciplines of the producer, director, cameraman and scriptwriter. If you’re interested in developing filmmaking and post-production skills this course is ideal. It builds on experimental and creative development, including digital video, sound and audio, and a strong core in film theory and artistic integrity.
If your ambition is to work in the ever expanding media industry then this is the course for you. The emphasis of this course is on moving image production. You will gain invaluable practical skills in a variety of disciplines from short films in fiction, production, and documentary. Learn lighting, camera work, editing as well as gaining industry knowledge to survive in this competitive industry. You will be stretched academically and where opportunities arise to work with real clients. During the course you will work with a range of cutting-edge equipment, and have access to workshops, on-line digital editing suites, digital SLR cameras and a fully equipped television studio including Chroma-key. This two-year Higher National Diploma has a vocational emphasis and enables you to develop your video production skills, editing, sound recording, lens based and digital media. You will also gain valuable experience in a professional context through well-developed assignments. You will be given the opportunity to find real commissions, undertake freelance work and partake in a number of national competitions.
The HND in Creative Media Production places a special emphasis on the acquisition of skills in camera work, sound recording, film editing, interviewing techniques as well as working in the colleges television studio. It is practice-based and work-based. It aims to develop your creative potential as an individual and as a collaborator, taking on roles within production team. Throughout the course your progress will be monitored by means of tutorials, reviews and formative and summative assessments. These procedures are designed to support your independent study through critical feedback from the tutorial staff. The course team will assist you in identifying your particular creative direction and technical skills and in developing your research and analytical skills. You will participate and visit cinemas for film screenings and create end of year show reels of your work.
Course Length: 2 years;
Start dates: February / July / October
- Contextual Studies for Creative Media Production
- Research Techniques for Creative Media Production
- Practical Skills for Moving Image Production
- Film Studies
- Music Video Production
- Camera and Lighting Techniques for Moving Image Production
- Interview and Presentation Techniques for Television
- Development and Techniques of Video
- Moving Image Documentary Production
- Special Subject Investigation for Creative Media Production
- Sound Design for Moving Image Production
- Scriptwriting for Moving Image Fiction
- Producer for Moving Image Production
- Director for Moving Image Production
- Career Development for the Moving Image Industries
- Project Design, Implementation and Evaluation
* The units can vary, depending on the optional modules which your institution will choose for the course structure.
Workshops, tutorials, lectures, and seminars run throughout the two years of the course to support your work. Information technology and presentation skills are embedded throughout the course. Assessment is continuous and teaching methods include case studies, essays, presentations, assignments and projects.
In order to further increase their abilities, students are also able to extend their studies and follow a Top Up course. This involves studying for a further one or two years on a BA course in related Graphic Design/Media areas.
This HND enables you to pursue positions including Assistant Production Executive, Media Production Assistant, Lighting Technician and Scriptwriter. As your skills develop, you will have the opportunity to progress to positions including Director and Producer.
- Minimum Age: 18 years old;
- Applicants are required to submit proof of prior certificated learning (e.g. Secondary School Diploma/Baccalaureate/Level 3 qualification) or relevant work experience;
- Applicants who do not have English as their first language will be required to demonstrate an approved level of proficiency in the use of the English language;
- An interview with the college is compulsory prior student registration.
- Applicants must bring their original certificates when coming for registration;
The Tuition Fee of the course will vary depending on the institution you wish to study in, as well as your status in the UK. The course is available for UK/EU and International Students as well. Please contact us to find out the tuition fee for a specific course you’d like to know about.
If you are an UK/EU citizen or living in the UK on Indefinite stay, you can receive support from the government via Student Loan Company to cover tuition fees and some living costs while studying, depending on your circumstances. Tuition fee loans, to cover the full cost of your course, are paid directly to the course provider. Maintenance loans can be applied for at the same time, lending you money at the start of each term. You won’t have to pay back the loan until after your course, when you’re earning above a certain level. Students can still apply for grants if they’re eligible for certain benefits, disabled, or need help with childcare costs.