UK student finance eligibility after Brexit

Student finance is important. It is very important. It can be the difference between graduating and dropping out of University. So it’s important that you know everything there is to know about it, especially how student finance eligibility works after Brexit.

Brexit changed many things for many people and had a huge impact on almost everything. It also changed student finance eligibility for those not born in the UK. Today, in order to apply for student finance in the UK, you must either be a citizen or have settled status, with no restriction on how long you can stay in the country.

Student finance eligibility after Brexit

December 31st 2020 marked the end of the Brexit transition period. Policy changed after this date, but not directly. For example, for courses starting on or before July 31st 2021, the British government said that European students were eligible for financial support for the duration of their courses, on the same basis as they were prior to Brexit.

This meant that EU students who have lived in the European Economic Area and/or Switzerland for at least 3 years prior to the beginning of their course were eligible for home fee status and a tuition fee loan. And if these European students lived in the UK for the 3 year period(5 years for England) before the start of the course, they could also get a living cost loan.

Things are different, however, for courses starting after 1 August 2021.

Student finance eligibility for courses starting on or after 1 August 2021 

After August 1st, European students living in the UK are likely to be charged tuition fees, the same as international students. However, in some cases, they may still be eligible for home fee status and financial support. Here’s what you need to know:

European students with settled status

If you’re a European student with settled status and you have lived in the UK for at least three years, you will definitely be eligible for both tuition fee loans and maintenance loans. This is good news for you and you should definitely take advantage of it. Student finance eligibility will open a lot of doors for you so make sure that you apply for it.

European students with pre-settled status

If you’re a European student and you have pre-settled status with three years of residency in the UK, you should also be eligible for tuition fee support. You may also qualify for a maintenance loan, but only in some UK nations. In England, for example, you won’t be able to get a maintenance loan. But you can do so if you live in Scotland and have lived in the UK for at least three years before the start of your course.

Reach out to us if you need any help. Atlantic London is here for you

For many European students looking to study in the UK and get a diploma at one of its prestigious universities, Brexit has been a great source of stress. It is not an ideal situation, but it should also not give up on your dreams because of it. We understand the complexity of the subject and we know that not everybody is able to understand all of these changes. But Atlantic London is here for you.

If you’re looking to study in the UK and you are wondering if you’re eligible to receive student finance, give us a call. Our experts will examine your papers and will let you know immediately where you stand. Additionally, they will also help you apply for a student loan and, if necessary, even help you to find the right university and the right course for you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

#iguru_button_6655a5c3501ab .wgl_button_link { color: #ffffff; }#iguru_button_6655a5c3501ab .wgl_button_link:hover { color: #ffffff; }#iguru_button_6655a5c3501ab .wgl_button_link { border-color: #fc7402; background-color: #fc7402; }#iguru_button_6655a5c3501ab .wgl_button_link:hover { border-color: #fc8728; background-color: #fc8728; }